What are scariest, ghosts or biohazards? Biohazards of course,
ghosts don't exist!
If you want a gruesome treat for a party, how about creating a
set of blood slides? We've used Forkable's fantastic recipe.
What you need:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup light golden syrup or corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- Red food colouring
- Tooth pick or bamboo skewer
- Baking tray
- Baking paper
- Small saucepan
- Large knife
- Pastry brush
WARNING: the sugar mixture will get
very hot. Ask an adult for help using the oven and
using sharp knives.
1. Line a few baking trays with baking paper.
2. Put the sugar, golden syrup and water in the small saucepan.
Bring the mixture to the boil and stir until the sugar is
3. Once the sugar is dissolved, don't stir the mixture. Boil the
mixture until it turns golden, about 5 to 7 minutes. You can use a
pastry brush dipped in cold water to wash down the sides of the
pan, which will prevent crystals forming.
4. Pour the mixture in a line down the centre of your baking
trays. Use a knife or spatula to spread the mixture into a thin,
Spread the sugar mixture on a
5. Once the mixture is in a thin, flat sheet, let it cool and
harden for 10 minutes. Once the mixture is hard, gently remove it
from the baking paper. Try not to crack it!
6. Use a sharp knife to cut the sugar mixture into slices, about
the size of glass slides. Don't worry if a few crack - this step
can be quite tricky. It can help to heat the knife gently in
between slicing, to make it easier. Ask an adult for help with
Cut the sugar mixture into
7. Lay your cut slides back on your baking tray and refrigerate
for at least 15 minutes.
8. Take the slides out of the fridge. Use a tooth pick or bamboo
skewer to place a small drop of food colouring on the centre of
each of your slides.
Place a drop of red food
colouring in the centre of each slide
Now you have gruesomely tasty treats!
For more scary snacks, go to the Forkable blog.
Go to Gore Blimey to find out how
to make the best fake blood.